I can’t quite believe it but we have a week to go before Baby Maroun arrives! We have had so much on the go that time has flown and now all of a sudden, we are days away from welcoming our son into this world. I’m officially on maternity leave but I still have a few work and admin things to take care of this week but hopefully I can also get as much rest as necessary to prepare for a healthy birth.
I had already packed my hospital bag with the hospital’s suggested list of items to pack but I thought I’d ask for recommendations from moms on Instagram if there were any comfort/practical recommendations that might not make its way on to your hosptial list. I had an overwhelming response of so many incredible recommendations for what to pack in my hospital bag so I have to say a HUGE thank you to all of you that responded. They were genuinely such brilliant recommendations that I thought I’d document them all here so they any other expectant moms can use this post for reference too.
Here’s my hospital’s list of recommendations:
- Music (earphones/speaker) for labour & birth
- Linen savers X 5
- Maternity Pads x 24
- High waisted/full panties and/or disposable stretch panties
- Breast pads
- Nipple cream (Lanolin) – alternatively many moms use baby bum cream
- 2 x sets button down pajamas for easy breastfeeding
- Nursing bras
- Own pillow if desired
- Bath towel
- Hair ties
- Squeeze water bottle or rinsed Energade bottle to assist with perineal care after natural birth
- Glasses/contacts if you wear them
- Clothes & shoes for going home
- Should you choose to exclusively formula feed, please bring your bottles & formula of choice.
- Prenatals & any other daily medication
- Nappies (+/- 20)
- Baby wipes
- Bum cream
- 6 x changes of clothes (Vest/babygrow/socks/hat)
- Nail clippers or extra socks/mittens to prevent baby scratching themselves
- 3 x receiving blankets
- 3 x warm blankets
- 2 x bath towels (if you would like your baby bathed in hospital)
- Baby wash/aqueous cream
- 1 x cotton wool roll
- Car seat for going home
- Disposable Masks
- Black pen
- Medical Aid Card
- Mom & Dad’s ID documents & marriage certificate & copies
Here’s what the moms of Instagram recommend:
- Your own pillow and a breast feeding pillow/pregnancy pillow because it makes things easier than propping yourself up with hospital pillows.
- Flip flops to shower in.
- A comfy robe
- Lip balm as the rooms are kept warm for the baby and this dries out your lips.
- Nail scissors for baby
- Lots and lots of water! You will need to drink a 500ml bottle every time you feed.
- Extension cords, double adapters & chargers
- Body wash, moisturiser, good shampoo and conditioner, nipple cream
- Hair brush, flat iron and hair dryer.
- A little bit of makeup.
- LOTS of snacks! Salty crackers, dried fruit, biltong, nuts, date balls or the Nanuki range snacks are a plus! My midwife even suggested packing a cooler box full of snacks.
- Headphones, ear plugs and an eye mask
- Books and magazines
- A metal straw or water bottle that has a straw
- A good playlist
- Silicone breast pump
- A pack of disposable masks
- Yoga mat
- Pack baby clothes in a separate zip lock bag for each day i.e. Day 1, Day 2, etc to make things easier on yourself and the nurses.
These are the most incredible recommendations and I can’t thank you enough for each and every one of them. If there’s anything else you think I should add to the list, please let me know!
I’d also like to remind you that my Christmas giveaways have already commenced on my Instagram and today you can win yourself this incredible TDW Emporium dress and a beauty brushes hamper by entering on today’s competition post. You can also win yourself last week’s giveaway of a book hamper if you hurry and enter before I announce a winner today!
Leave a Reply