Father’s Day is on Sunday and I don’t know about your dads but mine has an unparalleled sweet tooth. My baking repertoire is hardly extensive but there is one thing I can bake that, thanks to Martha Stewart, finds no competition. This is my red velvet cake and if your dad enjoys cake, this is the perfect Father’s Day treat for him.
Here it is:
· 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self- rising), sifted
· 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 1/2 cups sugar
· 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
· 2 large eggs, room temperature
· 1/2 bottle red food colouring
· 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
· 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together cake flour, cocoa, and salt.
2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, whisk together sugar and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix in food colour and vanilla.
3. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and whisking well after each. Stir together the baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl (it will foam); add mixture to the batter, and mix on medium speed 10 seconds.
4. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centres comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
5. To finish, use a small offset spatula to spread cupcakes with frosting.
Cream Cheese Icing
· 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
· 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
· 1 pound (4 cups) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
· 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Beat butter and cream cheese with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, and then vanilla; mix until smooth.
Follow Arum Lilea on Twitter, Facebook, Bloglovin’ & Instagram
Ummm yum!! Can you please make these for me?! JK – but even though my dad isn’t here for Father’s Day I think I need to bake these.. xo
Le monde,mon amour. says
Great post!! I love cupcakes! <3
Jade Wright says
yum yum! red velvet cupcakes are my favorite!!